Hey OPP homies,
Franklin D. Roosevelt, one of the most influential U. S. Presidents, once said: "Art is not a treasure in the past or an importation from another land, but part of the present life of all living and creating peoples." I'm pretty sure he was talking about 80's cartoons despite his death in 1945. As a tribute to the words of FDR, I offer you this genius list of 80's cartoons in order to keep the art of the past in my present life through reflection. Oh yea, Transformers are beyond #1, so they will be excluded (This isn't up for debate). Without further adieu, here is my list.
10. C.O.P.S. I loved this cartoon. I loved the fact that it took place in 2020 and followed sci-fi police officers as they fend off evil crime syndicates in "Empire City." The outfits in this show were straight-up trippy. Great toys too!!! These toys were the only action figure/cap gun that I have ever encountered.
9. The Centurions. I flippin loved this TV cartoon. Any futuristic sci-fi cartoon with the evil dude named Doctor Terror gets an A-Plus in my book. These toys were ridiculously cool. You could interchange attachments on their body armor. How cool is that??? Answer: H-Bomb cool.
8. Dino-Riders. First, you blow my mind with dinosaurs. Then, you add in cool futuristic attachments to harness the powers of the dinosaurs. You had me at Dino. Plus, I always found small lizards riding bigger lizards interesting. These toys were some of the coolest outside of transformers of course.
7. Duck Tales. Scrooge...you penny pinchin' coin vault swimming pimp. I want your top hat, cane, rimmed only glasses and shoe/sock combo thing you had going on. Huey, Dewey, and Louie were also legendary.
6. Ghostbusters. Come on...you all know Slimer ruled. He ruled even more than Scrooge, so this cartoon titan takes my 6th spot.
Now we are getting into the big dogs of 80's cartoons. This is going to be tough!!!
5. He-Man. "I have the power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Oh Prince Adam...I have no idea what protection your leather chest piece provided but you sure could ride the crap out of that battle tiger.
4. G.I. Joe. Though Megatron is the best villain ever, I'm pretty sure Cobra Commander is the second best. Skeletor and Mumm-ra were weak compared to your blue masked snake-like whispers of pending terrorism.
3. Voltron. Screw Mighty Morphin I copied Voltron Rangers. These cats (pun intended) formed the freaking defender of the Universe. The Megazords only protected earth (in the beginning anyway before it got all weird). Voltron was made up of 5 cats that were the equivalent of University of Michigan's fab 5 (yup, a Chris Webber/Jalen Rose reference was needed here).
2. This is a tough call. I'm going to say Thunder. THUNder...THUNDER!!!!! Yup, Thundercats takes the number 2 spot. Liono, Panthro, and Mumm-ra...Eagle Scouts should sing campfire songs of your greatness. Enough said.
1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I loved this show. I would never miss a show. If my wife would let me, I would name my kids "Splinter" and "Casey Jones." I'm pretty sure these children would solve all world problems, but only if these names are allowed to occur. Remember...Donatello does machines (That's a fact Jack).
Honorable Mention: Rocklords, MASK, Silverhawks. These shows were not only awesome in story line and creativity, but really cool toys as well.
What is your top cartoon?