Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

October Horror Movie of the Day #6 - The House of the Devil

The Film: The House of the Devil
The Director: Ti West
The Cast: Jocelin Donahue, Tom Noonan, Greta Gerwig
Release Date: October 30, 2009

Yesterday I said that Dawning was one of my favorite horror films of recent memory.  I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty sure that The House of the Devil is my very favorite horror film of recent memory.   A slow burning horror tale about a young college girl (Donahue) who takes a babysitting job in a secluded house.  The residents of said house are an older couple played by veteran awesome people Tom Noonan and Mary Wornov, and there's no baby to be found.


One of the most tense films I know, The House of the Devil is an exercise in build up that is punctuated by a bucketload of carnage.  The cast does a fantastic job of filling West's minimalist story, and the film pays homage to the horrors of the 1980s beautifully.  This isn't your average hack and slash horror, but make no mistake about it - The House of the Devil is gripping horror entertainment at its finest.

No comments: