Search This Blog

Sunday, October 24, 2010

October Horror Movie of the Day #24 - Pumpkinhead

The Film: Pumpkinhead
The Director: Stan Winston
The Cast: Lance Henriksen (!)
Release Date: January 13, 1989

I'm still not sure I really like Pumpkinhead as a movie.  I've grown to appreciate it over the years, but the execution seems a little sloppy at times.  I mostly attribute this to the fact that Stan Winston - the most skilled effects man to ever walk the face of the Earth - was directing for the first time, and the fact that the script doesn't give the film much help.

What I am absolutely sure of is that I am madly in love with the monster that Winston created here.  Pumpkinhead, the demon, has always given me chills.  The man created the Alien, the Terminator, Jurassic Park's gorram dinosaurs, and almost every great effect you saw in the '80s and '90s.  But I have no problem calling the Pumpkinhead monster one of his greatest creations.  Despite the cast (except for the amazing Lance Henriksen, of course) and script, the creature and some great lighting make this an occasionally terrifying tale of demonic revenge.

No comments: